Dr. Saju M.D CMI
Ph.D(Social Work )
Rajagiri School of Social Work
Post graduate in Social Work with specialization in Medical and Psychiatric Social Work from Loyola College (Autonomous) Chennai and M. Phil in Social Work from University of Madras (Loyola College, Chennai). Ph D in Social Work in the area of Child Development. Has 1 year of field practice and 9 years of teaching experience. Clinical and developmental research, Psychiatric Social Work practice, Psychotherapy, Administration, Coordination, Training, Consultancy, Research and Publication. Child Mental Health, Child Abuse, Domestic Violence, Differently abled, Family Development, Family Counselling and Gender Issues.
MA (SW), M Phil (SW),Ph D (Social Work)
Work Experience (Teaching / Industry / Research)
- Madras School of Social Work- as lecturer for 1year
- Rajagiri College of social Sciences- as lecturer since 28th July 2008
Partner in International Centre for Mental Health Social research ( ICMHSR), York University, UK
Area of Interest (Teaching / Research)
- Clinical and developmental research, Psychiatric Social Work practice, Psychotherapy, Administration, Coordination, Training, Consultancy, Research and Publication.
- Child Mental Health, Child Abuse, Domestic Violence, Differently abled, Family Development, Family Counselling, Gender Issues
Research Projects / Consultancy / Training / MDP conducted
- One day training program on ‘Theoretical Foundations of Counselling and Psychotherapy' for the trainers of Marriage Preparation Course of Ernakulam- Angamaly Diocese on 23rd March 2014 at Renewal Centre, Kochi.
- Training of teachers of Al Ameen Public Schools on Child Mental Health: Issues, Assessments and Management, on 15th May 2013.
- Talk on “Planning and implementation of Intervention Research”- on 25th May 2013 at Rajagiri. ToT for trainers of life skills.
- Resource person for the National Seminar on UNCRPD on 14th December 2013 organized by Pride India at Malappuram
- Training for the counselors from Sandwana Counselling Centre
- Training programme for the counselors of State Social Welfare Board
- Regional coordinator of All India Evaluation Study of Indira Awas Yojana funded by Planning Commission, India
- Evaluation of impact of Social Audit funded by Government of Kerala
- Livelihood issues of Urban poor funded by IGSSS
- Problems of migrant labors funded by IGSSS
- Socio- spiritual life and contributions of Knanya Community funded by Knanaya Diocese Kottayam
- Social Capital of the clinical social Workers in India- a cross cultural study in collaboration with Institute of Psychiatry, London.
- Evaluation of implementation of PWD Act in the local administration funded by UGC, Delhi.
- Research on School Social Work; a system approach
- Comparative study of clinically depressed and clinically normal Gulf Wives
- Regular Resource person at NSS Training and Orientation Center (TOC) at Rajagiri
- Organized Intensive workshop on Research Methodology for Clinical Practitioners
- Organized and conducted a course on psychotherapy
- Organized a workshop on Theory and Practice of clinical social Work
- Conducted one day research workshop on Research methodology and SPSS for the students of Devagiri College, Kozhikodu
- Conducted One day seminar on Social Audit for the Presidents and secretaries of 46 Municipalities of Kerala State at Paravur
- Guided the society to conduct Social Audit in Paravur Municipality
- Training for the Police Officials of Aluva Rural on Management of victims of Domestic Violence and Rape.
- External Examiner of Viva voce examination of Roshni Nilaya, Mangalore.
- Project consultant, ksheeradhara project, nedumkandam
- Training program for Officers of BPCL Irumbanam, on Stress management
Publication ( Book / Article / Case ) / Paper Presentations
- Social Work Education and Macro practice-Trends and Challenges - Conference proceedings, National seminar on Contemporary best practices -Professional Social Work, ISBN 938116413-4,
- Book review published in Rajagiri Journal of Social Development
- Evidence-Based Mental Health Services in Kerala, India: Cultural Influences and Challenges’ in Ethnographic and Qualitative Research Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA on 10th and 11th February 2014
- Realizing rights, duties, citizenship through social policy and professional social work practice Social Work Education in India- A Practice Interface with Communities, presented in European Union Seventh Framework Programme [FP7/2007-2013] under grant agreement No.295203 at Chennai on 11th January 2014
- Paper presented in an International Conference on ‘Child Rights’ at Chennai
- Paper presented in a National Conference on Social Work Supervision held at Roshni NIlaya, Mangalore
- Paper presented on Field Work Supervision at academic council of Madras University
- Paper presented in Dyuti National Conference held at Rajagiri College of Social Sciences
- Presented a paper on 'Field work opportunities in areas of Child issues' In a UGC sponsored National Workshop on ‘Recent Trends in Professional Social Work- Service, Training and Research’ On 25th and 26th September, 2014 In the School of Social Work, Roshni Nilaya, Mangalore
Seminar / Workshop / Refresher / Training Attended
- Seminar on “Preparation for Autonomy” conducted by Christ University, Bengaluru from 12th to 14th March 2014
- Conference on Recent Trends in Higher Education on at Loyola College, Chennai on 15th and 16th February 2014
- DYUTI 2014-National Conference on Community Mobilization for Empowerment on 8th January 2014
- Training on Moodle and exam office overview organized by Christ University Bangalore from 21st to 23rd March 2013
- Conference on “Modern trends in pediatric Neurology “ organized by TS SRINIVASAN KNOWLEDGE CONCLAVE in Chennai from 8th and 9th February 2013
- UGC refresher at Mizoram University from 9th September to 30th September 2013.
- UGC Orientation Programme for 28 days
- NSS orientation Programme for 10 days
- One day workshop by Planning Commission, Delhi
- Seven days workshop on Foreign Trade and Public health, organized by Indian Institute of Foreign trade, Delhi
- Triennial Convention of Xavier Board of Higher Education, held at Rajagiri, Kalamassery
- One day Xavier Board regional seminar of held at St. Teresa’s College, Ernakulam
- International Seminar on Child mental health
- Organized an Intensive Research Methodology Wcourse- a multi disciplinary mental health perspective.
Professional Membership / Certification
- Member of the Board of Studies of Social Work under Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam
- Indian Geriatric Association
Presentation made in the Rajagiri Faculty Council
- Social audit
- Social Work Supervision
- Social Work Research
- Prof. Saju M.D. was a visiting International Scholar Western Washington, Columbus University, Western Michigan University, Nazareth University and University of Maryland, USA. 25th May to 10th July, 2014.
- Visiting International Scholar at Vives University College,Belgium from 1st February to 9th March 2012.