Dr. M. D. Baby
Rajagiri School of Library and Information Sciences
An able doctorate in Library and Information Science from Calicut University, Kerala, India with over 33 years of experience in Library Administration and management, teaching as well as research, ready to work as an individual and in groups. I have had training in latest technology, especially Digital Library Management and imparted the same to the participants in various training programs organized at university level and at industry level. The positive aspect about myself is I am always accessible to my students
- PhD in Library & Information Science, University of Calicut.
- MLISc , Delhi University
- B.Lib Science from Kerala University
- BA (Economics), University of Calicut
- P G Certificate in Russian Language, Cochin University of Science and Technology
Work experience (Teaching / Industry / Research)
- 6 Years Research Experience –Manpower Planning
- University Librarian , CUSAT- 6 Years
- Deputy Librarian , CUSAT - 5 Years
- Asst. Librarian , CUSAT – 19 Years
- Professional Assistant , Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum – 1year 2 Months
|Member - Governing body||INFLIBNET - UGC Govt. of INDIA|
|Research Guide in Library & Information Science Ph.D and M.Phil||Cochin University of Science & Technology. Faculty of Technology, Bharathidasan University,Trichy, Annamalai University, Chidambaram, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai||4 students working for Ph.D under my guidance 10 M.Phil students|
|Member||Faculty of Technology, Cochin University of Science and Technology|
|Member||Board of Studies, Bharathidasan University, Trichy|
|Member||NAAC Peer Team|
|Coordinator||IGNOU Convergence programme-M.L.I.S|
|Project Leader||CUSAT-MHO Programme INFOCUS-LIBIS Project||LIBRARY INFORMATION SYSTEM is a project implemented in Cochin University, with the active collaboration of the Technical University of Delft, and funded by the Netherlands organization for International Cooperation in higher education. The objective of the project is to establish an advanced Information System linking the Central and Departmental Libraries of the University providing on line access to users as well as the introduction of advanced facilities for making CUSAT’s own research out puts and other relevant publications electronically available to the external world through internet.|
|Director-cum-Lecturer||Kerala Grandha Sala Sangham||For the Certificate course conducted in EKM District|
|Academic Counselor||Indira Gandhi Open University, Cochin Centre||For the B.L.S Programme since 1990|
|Subject expert||CMFRI, ICAR-COCHIN||Assessment Committee for Library Personnel|
|Member, Board of Adjudication||University of Kerala Faculty of Arts||For evaluation of Ph.D thesis|
|Member, Selection Committee||St. Albert’s College, M.G. University||Committee for Selection of Librarian|
|Resource Person Lib. & Inf. Science||Cochin University of Science & Technology||For the Refresher courses in different departments|
|Resource person for Lib. & Inf. Science||-do-||Library Orientation classes/user training for the fresh students of the University departments.|
|Member||Institute of Human Resource Development, Trivandrum||Selection Committee for the post of Librarian Grade IV|
Publication (Book / Article / Case) / Paper Presentations
- Bits to Bytes knowledge management in higher education the theme paper in the “CONFER”: Conference conducted by Rajagiri school of Engineering. 2008
- Inaugural address of the digital library inauguration Ilahia College , Muvattupuzha ,2008
- Inaugural talk on online journal initiative and talk on “Information Acquiring Skills” to the faculty and P G students of St. Albert’s College, Ernakulam , 2008
- Paper on “ Knowledge Manager: Redefining the roles in Web 2.0” for the National Seminar held at A V M Pushpam College, Tanjavore organized by Bharathidasan University
- Paper on College library networking in Cochin : a model Paper on: Study on user pattern of research scholars and faculty in the field of science in universities for the National Conference of DELNET 2008.
- Paper on “Library and Information Science Education in Kerala: Quantity Vs Quality: a case study of Rajagiri School of Library and Information Science” for the NACLIN 2007.
- Paper on “Digital Preservation of Newspapers in Regional Languages” held on 10th and 11th August 2007 at Anna University, Chennai for the National Conference - SALIS 2007.
- Invited talk to MSW students on “Enhancing Research Skills” on 15th June. 2007
- Invited talk on “Redefining the role of teachers in the IT era” for teachers at Bhavans, Girinagar on 7th October 2006.
- Paper on “Institutional Repositories: an effective infrastructure for enhancing scholarly communication through open access” for the IASLIC National Seminar held at IIT, Roorkee 2006.
- Paper on “Open Access Repositories” for the IASLIC National Seminar to be held on 26-29 December 2006 at IIT, Roorke.
- Invited speaker for the INDEST-AICTE National workshop in E-resources Management for Excellence held at IIT, Chennai 2006.
- Information discovery – A paradigm for information “In Information Services in a networked environment in India: CALIBER 2000. Ed. By R. Vengan. Inflibnet Ahmedabad.
- “Libraries of Future-Today: CUSAT A case study “ In Information Services in a networked environment in India: CALIBER 2000. Ed.by R. Vengan. Inflibnet Ahmedabad.
- Editor: “Changing Trends in Library & Information Science”, Ess Ess Publications, New Delhi, 2000
- Special Libraries in Kerala: Paper accepted for publication in ‘Herald of Library Science’. Lucknow.
- Information handling in Library Scenario armoured with 21st centuary Technology: Kelpro Bulletin, Kelpro, Trivandrum.
- Dr.S.R. Ranganathan: An Indian Information Scientist, National Seminar on ‘History of Indian Sciences’ Aug 26-28, 1998, CUSAT, Cochin – 22
- School Library Collection Building: Force for Educational Excellence. In “Role of Libraries in Education” ed. By G. Devarajan and A.C. Rajan, Beacon Books, New Delhi, 1994.
- “Library Networking: Kerala Scenario: Insensible Communication gap of sensible literates” Paper presented at the all India Conference of IASLIC. I.I.T. Bombay. December 1994.
- Subscription of Periodicals in Cochin University of Science and Technology Library: An Evaluation Published in the book “Resource Development in Academic Libraries” Ed. By G. Devarajan, 1992. Ess Ess Publication.
- Performance standards of Librarian Vis-z-vis basic qualifications in the related subjects: Analysis of Manpower Deployment in the University Libraries, with special reference to Cochin University of Science and Technology Library System. Published in ‘Manpower’ Planning and Library and Information system in India’: Papers presented at the 17th All India Conference of IASLIC, Jaipur, 1989.
Seminar / workshop attended
- Two Day National Workshop on Research Report Writing on 17-18th, February 2017 Organized by School of Library and Information Science, RCSS in association with Kerala Library Association Ernakulum Region
- Delivered the Key note address on E- Library Management at Cochin Shipyard on 5th Dec 2009.
- Delivered a talk on “Content Management in Digital libraries” at NPOL (Navel, Physical and Oceanographic Laboratory)at Kochi On Dec 9th 2009.
- Invited talk to Library Science Professionals at ST Teresa’s College Cochin.(Teacher’s day was on 02-02-2010)
- Paper presentation on ‘Information Technology and Library’ in connection with “Sahitya Sangamam and M. Krishnan Nair Commemoration” seminar organized by Malayala Manorama- Bhasha poshini and EMS Cooperative Library at EMS Library, Kakkanad on Feb 20-21.
- Chief Guest for a one day seminar on ‘Voice of women for environmental protection’ on 18th September 2010.the program conducted by Women’s forum of OISCA International, Aluva ,NSS of St Xavier’s College.
- Delivered a talk for Faculties of IMG at Ernakulam on 28th July 2011
- Delivered a class on ‘Research Article writing’ for faculty improvement program at St. Teresa’s College Ernakulam on 4th August 2011.
- Delivered a key note address in the UGC sponsored refresher course in Library & InformationScience for college and university teachers on 6th September 2011 at Bharathidasan University,Trichy.
- Paper on “Knowledge management for a common man, a new step in the corporate sector: A case study of EMS cooperative library ,Kochi .” in 55th ILA National conference on ‘Library and Information Science in the Digital Era’ at BIMTECH Campus(Birla Insitute of Management Technology), Greater Noida ,UP on 21st-24th January(2010).
- Delivered a class for Govt. and University teacher regarding Research Methodology at IMG Kochion 14th September 2011.
- A theme paper presentation at Information Technology Department of Kannur University on aSeminar on Research Methodology on 23rd September 2011.
- Coordinator for the seminar on Digital libraries behalf of ICFOSS T VM ,VAT Technopark on July 2012.
- Invited as the Chief guest in the Literary Association of FISAT in association with The Book Talk and Book Exhibition, on February 2013.
- Participated as a panelist in the seminar “Knowledge creation, extraction, discoverery and delivery” conducted by Informatics, INDIA on Sept 19,2014
- Participated a workshop on E-content, recording of Classes for e pg pathshala project by UGC at Delhi, Aug 29,30,2014
- XIV IASLIC Conference 26-29 Dec. 1983, New Delhi
- XVII IASLIC Conference 27-30 Dec. 1989, Jaipur
- XXI IASLIC Conference 26-29 Dec. 1997, Coimbatore
- Chairman, Seminar on “Changing Trends in Library and Information Science” University Library CUSAT, 8th & 9th Jan.1998.
- Chairman, Seminar on “Crisis Management in Libraries”, 7th & 8th Jan. 1999, University Library, CUSAT
- Seminar on ‘History of Indian Sciences’, CUSAT Aug. 26-28 1998.
- VII National Convention for “Automation of Libraries in Education and Research” 16th –18th Feb. 2000 Madras University, Chennai.
- National Seminar on ‘Organization of Libraries and Information Centers in the 21st Century” – Calicut University 26th & 27th May 2000.
- Chairman, International CALIBER “Multilingual Computing and Information Management in Networked Digital Environment” Feb 2 – 4, 2005 organized by UGC and CUSAT
Seminar /workshop Conducted
- One day workshop on e-publishing and open source soft wares in education and libraries on 25th November 2009
- Two day workshop on Information Retrieval from e- Resources in Social Science and Research Article Writing on 24th and 25th February 2011.
- Two day workshop on Information Delivery systems in academic and research institution on 6th and 7th September 2012.
- Organized a 2 day national workshop on KOHA(Open source Software)on 7th and 8th March 2013.
- National Seminar on “Social Responsibility and Professional Ethics in Librarianship” on Feb, 2014
Professional membership / certification
- Indian Library Association (Life) (ILA, New Delhi)
- Indian Association of Special Libraries & Information Centre (Life), (IASLIC, Calcutta)
- Kerala Library Association (Life), KLA, Trivandrum)
- DRTC Alumni Association (DRTC, ISI, Bangalore)
- Association of Indian University Librarians, New Delhi (Life)
- Certificate course on Professional Advancement ‘Computerised Information Work and Service’ DRTC, Indian Statistical Institute, Bangalore.
- Certificate course on Computer Software Package for Library and Information Work, Dept. of Library and Information Science, University of Kerala, Trivandrum.
- Subject oriented Refresher Course in Lib. & Information Sciences at Aligarh Muslim University.
Travels Outside India
|Republic of Yemen||Taiz University||To setting up of a library for Post Graduate centre for management project by World Bank (OCT 2009)|
|Netherlands||Technical University Delft Medical University Delft||To assess the different soft ware package for Libraries and to familiarize the digital library concept under MHO Project|
|Netherlands||Tilburg University||To attend the ‘The International Summer School on Digital Library’ August 15-27th 1999. In cooperation with Tilburg University, Ticer conducted this Summer School to prepare the librarians for the Information age|
|Philippines||San Carlos University||Library Consultant|
|USA||University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA||To attend International conference on ETD|
|USA||Tucson, University of Arizona, USA||To attend International Conference on Digital Libraries –JCDL|