Dr. Nycil Romis Thomas
Ph.D(Social Work ), Programme Coordinator, BSW
Rajagiri School of Social Work
Dr. Nycil Romis Thomas MSW, PhD Rajagiri School of Social Work firstname.lastname@example.org Profile
She is a social work educator for more than 15 years and currently coordinates the undergraduate programme in Social Work in the college. Her doctoral thesis was on Strength Based Social Work Practice with Families of Adolescents. She has presented papers in national and international conferences and has authored many articles. Her research interests include child and adolescent mental health, strength based practices and women health. She has been a resource person for the Summer University in Social Work on ‘Valuing Strengths and Respecting Diversity in Social Work’ held in CUHK, Hong Kong in 2017. She had successfully completed two UGC Minor Research Projects. Her NGO experience includes work with refugees and destitute population in India.
- PhD (Social Work), IGNOU, New Delhi
- MSW (Medical and Psychiatric Social Work), Mahatma Gandhi Univeristy, Kottayam
- 15 years of teaching experience in Social Work including postgraduate and undergraduate levels.
- Served as Lecturer in School of Social Work, Marian College Kuttikkanam, Kerala for Master of Social Work (MSW) Programme for 4.5 years
- Currently serving as the Coordinator of BSW Programme.
- 2.5 years of field experience in working with refugees, destitute and mentally ill in both regional and international organizations.
- Worked as Social Worker in the Refugee Assistance Programme of New Delhi YMCA directly monitored by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), New Delhi
- Worked as Counsellor in the CAPART funded destitute rehabilitation project of People’s Council for Social Justice in Relief Settlement, Palluruthy, Kochi. International exposure
- Participated and delivered a lecture on ‘Valuing and Enhancing Strengths in Families: Reflections from the Indian subcontinent’, in the 8th International Summer University in Social Work held in the Chinese University of Hong Kong from July 2-14, 2018
- Participant of a youth cultural exchange programme for three months in Taize, France in 2001.
- Successfully completed a Research Project “Reframing Social Work Interventions for Families with Adolescents: Utilising Strengths Model” with UGC Minor Research Grant during 2012-2014.
- Successfully completed a Research Project on “Chronic Non Communicable Diseases (NCDs): Risk Perception and Health Behaviour among Women” with UGC Minor Research Grant during 2016-18.
- Thomas, Nycil R, Joseph, Mary Venus. (2018). Changing Family Context and Adolescent Wellbeing: Relevance of Family Social Work Interventions. Social Work Footprints, 8:3, 7-30.
- Thomas, Nycil R, C.A., Nauroz (2015). The Psychosocial Context of Youth Tobacco Use: Neglected or Forgotten? Rajagiri Journal of Social Development, 7:2, pp. 137-148.
- Thomas, Nycil R, Joseph, Mary Venus. (2015). Family Strength Predictors of Adolescent Life Satisfaction: A Strength Based Study Done in Kerala In Kerala. In Abraham, Francis (Ed.). Social Work Practice in Mental Health: Cross-Cultural Perspectives, New Delhi: Allied Publications, pp.41-53.
- Thomas, Nycil R, Joseph, Mary Venus. (2015). Outcomes of Strength Based Social Work Intervention in Families with Adolescents: A Qualitative Inquiry. Conference proceedings. International Symposium on Evidence in Global Mental Health.pp.266-273, ISBN 978-93-85477-05-8
- Thomas, Nycil R. (2014). “A Sociological Analysis of Parenting Challenges and the way Ahead”. Indian Journal of Family Studies, 14:2, pp. 24-34.
- Thomas, Nycil R., Joseph, Mary Venus. (2013). “Positive Adolescent Development: Relevance of Family Interventions”. Rajagiri Journal of Social Development, 5:2, pp.115-134.
- Thomas, Nycil R, Warrier, A. A. (2014). “Role Performance and Challenges of Female Panchayat Members with Special Reference to Ernakulam District”, Conference proceedings. National Conference on Community mobilization and empowerment,pp. 52-58, ISBN 978-93-84743-21-5.
- Teaching-Learning in Social Work Research: An Experiential Learning Model in the National Conference on Reimaging Social Work Education in the Outcome Based Perspectives and Practices, organized by Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, Kochi, January 4-5, 2018.
- Intergenerational Relationship and Quality of Life of Urban Grandparents residing with Grand Children, in the International Conference on Healthy Ageing and Mental Health, organized by Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, Kochi, January 4-6, 2017.
- Quality of Life and Social Networking of Elderly in U3A Project in the International Conference on Healthy Ageing and Mental Health, organized by Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, Kochi, January 4-6, 2017.
- Combating Child Sexual Abuse: CSR Possibilities in the National Conference on Corporate Social Responsibility and Children, organized by Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, Kochi, January 7-8, 2016.
- Knowledge level of Daycare Centre Workers about Preschool Care and Education, in the National Conference on Corporate Social Responsibility and Children, organized by Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, Kochi, January 7-8, 2016.
- Changing Family Context and Adolescent Wellbeing: Reflections from an empirical study done in Kerala in the International scientific e-Congress on European and Global Contexts of Social Changes in Society organized by Catholic University in Ruzomberok, Slovakia, November 18 – 26, 2015.
- Outcomes of Strength Based Social Work Intervention in Families with Adolescents: A Qualitative Inquiry in the International Conference on Evidence in Global Mental Health organized by Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, January 7-9, 2015.
- Family Strength Predictors of Adolescent Life Satisfaction: A Strength Based Study Done in Kerala in the International Conference on Mental Health organized by DePaul Institute of Science and Technology, Angamaly, December 10-12, 2014.
- A Sociological Analysis of Parenting Challenges and the way Ahead in the International Symposium on Responsible Parenthood organized by John Paul II Institute for Marriage and Family Studies, Kerala, January 27-28, 2014.
- Family and Community Collaborations for Positive Adolescent Development: A Strength Based Approach in the National Conference on Community Mobilisation and Empowerment organized by Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, January 9-10, 2014.
- Reframing Social Work Interventions to build Family Competence in the National Conference on Family Competence and Social Development organized by Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, December 7-8, 2012.
Professional Membership / Certification
- Kerala Association of Professional Social Workers (KAPS)
- Indian Council of Social Welfare (ICSW)
- Organizing Secretary of National Conference on ‘Reimaging Social Work Education in the Outcome Based Perspectives and Practices’, January 4 -5, 2018
- Programme Coordinator of International Conference on Social Work and Environmental Justice, January 6-9, 2011 in Rajagiri College
- Organizing Secretary and Programme Coordinator of Workshop on Field Practicum for Social Work Educators and Practitioners, held from 10-11 October 2006 at Marian College Kuttikkanam, Kerala.
- Organizing committee member of International Conference on Millennium Development Goals and Child Protection (2009), National Conference on Right to Life (2010), National Conference on Family Competence and Social Development (2012), National Conference on Community Mobilisation and Empowerment (2014), International Symposium on Global Mental Health (2015), National Conference on CSR and Children (2016), International Conference on Healthy Ageing and Mental Health (2017) held at Rajagiri College.
- Organizing committee member of National seminar on Sexual Health (2004), International Conference on Family Empowerment (2005), held at Marian College Kuttikkanam, Kerala.
- MOOC Course on Introduction to Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis, offered by the John Hopkins University in Coursera (December 2018).
- Workshop on Teaching Through Games, May 2018
- Certificate Course in Multivariate Analysis, Scale Development and Structural Equation Modelling, April 2017
- Certificate Course in Foundations of Statistical Analysis using SPSS, April 2017
- MOOC Course on Understanding Research Methods, offered by the University of London & SOAS University Of London in Coursera (February 2017).
- Workshop on Retrieval of Information through E-Resources, 2011
- National Workshop on Tools and Techniques of Social Research, organized by Bharatmata School of Management, Ernakulam from 11-13 October 2010
- National Conference on Social Work Response to HIV/AIDS, organized by IGNOU in Marian College Kuttikkanam, Kerala from 19-22 August, 2010
- International Conference on “Building bridges for wellness through Counselling and Psychotherapy”, organized by Sampurna Montfort College, Bangalore in 9-11 January, 2008.
- NAAC sponsored national workshop on “Benchmarking in Institutions of Higher Learning” organized by A.N.R College, Gudivada, Andra Pradesh from January 22-24, 2007.
- Certificate course in Evidence based practice in Social Work by the University of Utah, USA on 10-11 October 2006
- Certificate Course in Dementia Care Training by Wolverhampton University, UK in 2-3 February, 2006 Presentation made in the Rajagiri Faculty Council
- Worldwide trends in insufficient physical activity from 2001 to 2016: a pooled analysis of 358 population-based surveys with 1·9 million participants (The Lancet Global Health, 2018) - Article review
- Student Self Report of Core Field Instructor Behaviors that Facilitate Their Learning (Field Educator, 2017) – Article review
- Engaged Teaching-Learning: Outcome Evaluation for Social Work Students in a Graduate-Level Service Learning Research Course (Advances in Social Work,2015) –
- Facilitating Self-Reflection: The Integration of Photovoice in Graduate Social Work (Social Work Education, 2014) – Article review
- The relationship between attachment and career maturity: The mediating role of Self Efficacy (ISW, 2013) – Article review
- Financial abuse of Elderly – A case study (ISW, 2013) – Article review
Areas of Interest (Teaching/Research)
- Social Work Research
- Social Legislation
- Social Group Work
- Human Growth and Development
- School Social Work
- Strengths based social work
- Families with children and adolescents
- Child and Adolescent mental health
- Women Health