Dr. Nycil Romis Thomas
Ph.D(Social Work )
Rajagiri School of Social Work
She is a postgraduate in Social Work, experienced both as a social work educator and a practitioner. She joined the Department of Social Work in 2008. Her doctoral thesis was in the area of Strength Based Social Work Intervention with Families of Adolescents.
- PhD (Social Work), IGNOU, New Delhi
- MSW (Medical and Psychiatric Social Work), Mahatma Gandhi University,Kottayam
- 13 years of teaching experience in Social Work including postgraduate and undergraduate levels.
- Served as Lecturer in School of Social Work, Marian College Kuttikkanam,Kerala for Master of Social Work (MSW) Programme for 4.5 years
- Currently serving as the Coordinator of BSW Programme.
- 2.5 years of field experience in working with refugees, destitute and mentally ill in both regional and international organizations.
- Worked as Social Worker in the Refugee Assistance Programme of New Delhi YMCA directly monitored by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), New Delhi
- Worked as Counsellor in the CAPART funded destitute rehabilitation project of People’s Council for Social Justice in Relief Settlement, Palluruthy, Kochi.
- Currently serving as Field work Coordinator of BSW second year students
- Coordinator of the field action project Marian Rural Health Programme (MRHP)for the Tea plantation Workers in Peermade (2005-06).
- Coordinated a pilot project on School Social Work in five govt-aided schools under the Corporate management of Diocese of Kanjirappally (2006).
- Successfully completed a Research Project “Reframing Social Work Interventions for Families with Adolescents: Utilising Strengths Model” with UGC Minor Research Grant during 2012-2014.
- Currently undertaking a Research Project on “Chronic Non Communicable Diseases (NCDs): Risk Perception and Health Behaviour among Women” with UGC Minor Research Grant for the period 2016-18.
- National Workshop on Tools and Techniques of Social Research, organized by Bharatmata School of Management, Ernakulam from 11-13 October 2010
- National Conference on Social Work Response to HIV/AIDS, organized by IGNOU in Marian College Kuttikkanam, Kerala from 19-22 August, 2010
- International Conference on “Building bridges for wellness through Counselling and Psychotherapy”, organized by Sampurna Montfort College, Bangalore in 9-11 January, 2008.
- NAAC sponsored national workshop on “Benchmarking in Institutions of Higher Learning” organized by A.N.R College, Gudivada, Andra Pradesh from January 22-24, 2007.
- Certificate course in Evidence based practice in Social Work by the University of Utah, USA on 10-11 October 2006
- Certificate Course in Dementia Care Training by Wolverhampton University, UK in 2-3 February, 2006
- Workshop on Quantitiative Research methods by Rajajgiri College, Kochi in 2005
- International Conference on “Engineering Family Empowerment”, organized by Marian College Kuttikkanam in August 2005.
- Training of Trainers programme of Campaign Against Child Labour (CACL) held at Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, Kochi in February 2005.
- International Conference on “Peace and Social Work Education”, organized by Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, Kochi in 2004.
- National Seminar on Sexual Health organized by Marian College Kuttikkanam in November 2004.
- Experience Sharing Meeting of Project Partners of UNFPA Fifth Country Programme in Vishwa Yuva Kendra, New Delhi in November 2002
- Certificate Programme in Transactional Analysis
- Programme Coordinator of International Conference on Social Work and Environmental Justice, January 6-9, 2011 in Rajagiri College
- Organizing Secretary and Programme Coordinator of Workshop on Field Practicum for Social Work Educators and Practitioners, held from 10-11 October 2006 at Marian College Kuttikkanam, Kerala.
- Organizing committee member of National seminar on Sexual Health (2004), International Conference on Family Empowerment (2005), held at Marian College Kuttikkanam, Kerala.
- Organizing committee member of International Conference on Millennium Development Goals and Child Protection (2009), National Conference on Right to Life (2010), National Conference on Family Competence and Social Development (2012), National Conference on Community Mobilisation and Empowerment (2014), International Symposium on Global Mental Health (2015), National Conference on CSR and Children (2016) held at Rajagiri College.
- Thomas, Nycil Romis, C.A., Nauroz (2015). The Psychosocial Context of Youth Tobacco Use: Neglected or Forgotten?. Rajagiri Journal of Social Development, 7:2, pp. 137-148.
- Thomas, Nycil Romis, Joseph, Mary Venus. (2015). Family Strength Predictors of Adolescent Life Satisfaction: A Strength Based Study Done in Kerala In Kerala. In Abraham, Francis (Ed.). Social Work Practice in Mental Health: Cross-Cultural Perspectives, New Delhi: Allied Publications, pp.41-53.
- Thomas, Nycil Romis, Joseph, Mary Venus. (2015). Outcomes of Strength Based Social Work Intervention in Families with Adolescents: A Qualitative Inquiry. Conference proceedings. International Symposium on Evidence in Global Mental Health.pp.266-273, ISBN 978-93-85477-05-8
- Thomas, Nycil Romis. (2014). “A Sociological Analysis of Parenting Challenges and the way Ahead”. Indian Journal of Family Studies, 14:2, pp. 24-34.
- Thomas, Nycil Romis., Joseph, Mary Venus. (2013). “Positive Adolescent Development: Relevance of Family Interventions”. Rajagiri Journal of Social Development, 5:2, pp.115-134
- Thomas, Nycil Romis, Warrier, A. A. (2014). “Role Performance and Challenges of Female Panchayat Members with Special Reference to Ernakulam District”, Conference proceedings. National Conference on Community mobilization and empowerment,pp. 52-58, ISBN 978-93-84743-21-5.
- Combating Child Sexual Abuse: CSR Possibilities in the National Conference on Corporate Social Responsibility and Children, organized by Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, Kochi, January 7-8, 2016.
- Knowledge level of Daycare Centre Workers about Preschool Care and Education, in the National Conference on Corporate Social Responsibility and Children, organized by Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, Kochi, January 7-8, 2016.
- Changing Family Context and Adolescent Wellbeing: Reflections from an empirical study done in Kerala in the International scientific e-Congress on European and Global Contexts of Social Changes in Society organized by Catholic University in Ru??omberok, Slovakia, November 18 – 26, 2015.
- Outcomes of Strength Based Social Work Intervention in Families with Adolescents: A Qualitative Inquiry in the International Conference on Evidence in Global Mental Health organized by Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, January 7-9, 2015.
- Family Strength Predictors of Adolescent Life Satisfaction: A Strength Based Study Done in Kerala in the International Conference on Mental Health organized by DePaul Institute of Science and Technology, Angamaly, December 10-12, 2014.
- A Sociological Analysis of Parenting Challenges and the way Ahead in the International Symposium on Responsible Parenthood organized by John Paul II Institute for Marriage and Family Studies, Kerala, January 27-28, 2014.
- Family and Community Collaborations for Positive Adolescent Development: A Strength Based Approach in the National Conference on Community Mobilisation and Empowerment organized by Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, January 9-10, 2014.
- Reframing Social Work Interventions to build Family Competence in the National Conference on Family Competence and Social Development organized by Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, December 7-8, 2012.
Professional Membership / Certification
- International Association of Schools of Social Work (IASSW)
- Indian Council of Social Welfare (ICSW)
Presentation made in the Rajagiri Faculty Council
- The relationship between attachment and career maturity: The mediating role of Self Efficacy (ISW, 2013) – Article review
- Financial abuse of Elderly – A case study (ISW, 2013) – Article review
Areas of Interest (Teaching/Research)
- Social Work Research
- Social Legislation
- Social Group Work
- Human Growth and Development
- School Social Work
- Strengths based social work
- Families with children and adolescents
- Child and Adolescent mental health
- Children/Adolescents in groups