Overseas Professors to Rajagiri
|1||Prof Jed Metzger||Associate professor of Social Work, LCSW-R||Nazareth College, USA||11th-16th March 2018|
|2||Dr Zhu Xuan,Chinese Delegation-10 faculty members and 15 students||Professor, Centre for Indian Studies, Shenzhen University||Shenzhen University, China||20th Jan to 5th Feb 2018|
|3||Dr Mary Maher & 10 students+1 faculty member||Associate Professor & Chair Nazareth College Nursing Department, Director, Public Health Program||Nazareth College USA||2nd January to 9th January 2018|
|4||Dr Johny Augustine+ 5 students||Professor||St Ambrose University Denver||1st January to 7th January 2018|
|5||Dr. Timothy Palmer + 3 Faculty members + 18 students||Professor and Head of Study abroad programme,||Western Michigan University||16th to 21st December 2017|
|6||Dr. Max Ringlstetter & Mr. Florian Chitic||Dean, Management and his Research Scholar||WFI School of Management, Ingolstadt, Germany||18th to 21st November 2017|
|7||Prof Manohar Pawar||Professor, Social Work and Human Services||Charles Sturt University||13th November 2017|
|8||Dr. Philip Laird and Prof. Jonathan Michael||Vice Provost with Professor in Leadership||Trinity Western University Canada||13th & 14th November 2017|
|9||Mr Darren Turner||Manager: International Business Development Division of Education, Arts and Social Sciences, Division of Health Sciences||University of South Australia, Australia||23rd and 24th November 2017|
|10||Dr Nilufer Medora||Semester at Sea programme 1 Faculty+30 Student||Various Universities||26th October 2017|
|11||Australian Delegation||20 members||Australia||12th October 2017|
|12||Dr Fauz Gataby||Executive Board member||Ecole-Swiss Hospitality School, Dubai||27th September 2017|
|13||Mr Darren Turner||Manager: International Business Development Division of Education, Arts and Social Sciences, Division of Health Sciences||University of South Australia, Australia||27th September 2017|
|14||Prof Robert Bland AM||Professor of Social Work||Australian Catholic University, Australia||12th, 13th and 14th September 2017;|
|15||Mr Rishen Shekhar||Deputy Director, International Business Development, UniSA International||University of South Australia, Australia||5th August 2017|
|16||Ms Pradipta Kadambari +15 students||Principal ,Kadambari Memorial College, CEO, Nepal School of Social Work Kathmandu, Nepal||Nepal School of Social Work||1st July to 9th July 2017|
|17||Caroline Long Burry, PhD||Associate Professor -Chair, Families and Children Specialization -Director of Global Initiatives||School of Social Work, University of Maryland, USA||18th,19th and 20th July 2017|
|18||Prof Clark Shah-Nelson||Assistant Dean, Instructional Design & Technology||University of Maryland, USA||29th and 30th June 2017|
|19||Prof Lynette Barbara Joubert||Senior Professor||University of Melbourne||19th May 2017|
|20||Ms Fendt Newlin Meriditt||Research Fellow||University of York ,UK||19th May 2017|
|21||Dr Martin Webber||Anniversary Reader in Social Work,Anniversary Reader in Social Work,||University of York ,UK||19th May 2017|
- Prof Clark Shah-Nelson, Assistant Dean, Instructional Design & Technology, University of Maryland interacting with faculty members of RCSS on the development of online programmes and the possibilities on 29th June 2017.
- Prof Caroline Burry ,Associate Professor, UMSSWB,USA taking session for the students on “Family assessment techniques in USA” on 18th July 2017
- Prof Robert Bland, Professor, Australia Catholic University in a meeting with Dr Joseph I Injodey, Dr Binoy Joseph, Dr Fr Varghese K, Dr Anish K R and Dr Kiran Thampi on 13th September 2017.
- Prof Manohar Pawar, Charles Strurt University, Australia interacting with MSW students on the theme ‘International Social Work’ on 13th November 2017.
- Prof Darren Turner and Prof Sophie Dimandi from University of South Australia interacting with the faculty members on 24th November 2017.
- Prof Robert Bland,ACU visited Rajagiri Campus during October 2016 and offered workshops for students, faculty members and practitioners
- Prof. Jed Metzger, Associate Professor in Social Work, New York from 7th January to 6th March 2016.He conducted a series of sessions for the practitioners,students and academicians and shared his practice experiences.
- Mr. Sarfraz Hasan, CEO at Ledmac Ltd, London, United Kingdom visited Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, Kalamassery campus on 19th October 2015 to discuss on the possibilities in partnering Rajagiri College with Ledmac and London Business School on the SEEP programme and future steps including action plan, preproject preparations required.
- Prof. Soohwan Kim and Prof Gwanghoon Sohn, Professors from Social Welfare Department Kyungsung University, Busan, South Korea visited Rajagiri Kalamassery campus on Monday, 26th October 2015 to discuss on the possibility of faculty and student exchange program between Rajagiri Social Work Department and the Social Welfare department, Kyungsung University
- One day workshop on Research Methodology and Writing Research Proposals was organized on Saturday, 31st October 2015. The Resource person was Mr. Albert Kuruvila, Lecturer, Social Work Programme, The University of Waikato, New Zealand. Faculty members of Social Work Department of Rajagiri College, Research Scholars of Rajagiri Doctoral Centre, M.Phil and PGDCSW students were the participants of the workshop.
- Prof. Wendy Rollins, National Professional Practice Education Coordinator (Social Work) School of Allied Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, Australian Catholic University visited Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, Kalamassery on 29th September 2015.
- Dr. Venkat Pulla, Coordinator, Social Work Discipline & Senior Lecturer and Prof. Robert Bland, Professor and Discipline Lead, Social Work, Australian Catholic University visited Rajagiri College on 10th December 2014. The delegates had discussions with the faculty members of Social Work Department and interacted with the social work students
PROF. RAJU VARGHESE, ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR AT THE SCHOOL OF SOCIAL WORK,
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, BALTIMORE, USA
HAILING FROM QUILON, KERALA, INDIA – firstname.lastname@example.org
After earning an undergraduate degree in science from Kerala University, moved to the Madras School of Social Work and graduated in 1961.
Prof. Raju Varghese was introduced to Rev. Fr. Francis Sales, the founder Director of Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, who was looking to establish the first school of social work in Kerala State. Fr. Sales invited him to teach a class on groups and offered him a faculty position, as the fourth faculty member of the Department of Social Work at the Sacred Heart College, Thevara along with Prof. K. A. Balakrishnan, Prof. C. M. Kuriakose and Prof. Rajan V. George.
Prof. Raju Varghese was then in charge of field work training and assumed the responsibility of placing students for concurrent and block placements. He took initiative to blend the NGOs to professional social work instruction, so as to enrich the field work components of the various specializations. He liaisoned with the leading industries and agencies inside and outside Kerala State for the purpose. As the only MSW program in Kerala, Rajagiri could make suggestions to Kerala University on all aspects of social work education.
During his tenure at the college, he had the opportunity to meet several of the social work professors from the United States. Among them was Dr. Ruby Pernell who talked to him about the need for furthering his education. It was Fr. Sales who also encouraged him for further education and recommended for admission at University of Pennsylvania School of Social Work, Philadelphia. Raju Varghese graduated from Penn in 1969 with a Masters in social work degree and decided to pursue the PhD in social work from Temple University.While studying at Temple, Raju had a chance encounter with Dr. Daniel Thursz, then dean of the School of Social Work. Thursz was looking for people to come to UMB to teach groups and human behavior. So, in 1972, while still working on his PhD, Raju Varghese began teaching at the School of Social Work and has continued teaching here ever since.
Prof. Raju Varghese enabled in giving a new direction for Social Work Education in Kerala raising it to the National level with his rich experience from Madras School of Social Work. Prof. Raju Varghese’s involvement with Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, continued in providing curriculum development, faculty training and assistance for library books.
During one of his visits, Rajagiri proposed a student exchange program and together worked out a plan where Rajagiri students could finish their first year education in India and attend UMB for their second year and receive the MSW degree from UMB.
He also developed a course on international social work that involved traveling to Kerala, India, attending classes at Rajagiri, interacting with Rajagiri MSW students, and visiting selected field agencies depending on the interests of students.
He has also developed a program which offers second-year international field placement for UMB students which continues successfully under the title “Rajagiri International Exchange Programme”. For many decades, Raju Varghese has worked hard at bridging the boundaries of international education. His efforts to help connect the School of Social Work in Baltimore with his peers in Kerala, India, have created life-changing opportunities for students from each country. The efforts have also helped spawn a growing interest in expanding similar opportunities to other places around the globe.
So, the Rajagiri Family is greatly indebted to Prof. Raju Varghese who is now none other than a Rajagirian himself.
July 2001 – Prof. Raju Varghese - 2 weeks teaching & curriculum consultation
State level seminar : Effective Functioning of Social Work organizations – Role of Group Work
- Discussion with members of school of social work
- Discussion with live lab members
- Curriculum consultation with faculty
- Consultation with the research team of Rajagiri
9th September to 9th October 2008. - Prof. Raju Varghese.
Addressed the first year MSW students on Group Work
- Addressed the Social Work Faculty members Pedagogical workshop on Working with Groups for the Social Work educators of Kerala State organised at Rajagiri College, organised by the Association of Schools of Social Work in Kerala (ASSK)
- Addressed the Research Scholars of the Centre for Doctoral Research, Rajagiri College of Social Sciences
- Participated in the Onam celebrations at NSS Social Sensitisation camp of Rajagiri college of Social Sciences, at Maneedu Grama Panchayat, Piravom
Prof. Richard Barth, Dean, School of Social Work, University of Maryland, Baltimore, USA in a seminar with the Social Work Professors at Rajagiri campus during 2009.
University of Washington, USA
2nd July 2010 - Whitney Lewis and Kendra M. Gritsch
- Meeting with few organizations in India to speak with professionals, politicians and social workers on the condition of women in India, specifically focusing on Poverty and Inequality and to get an academic perspective in the realm of social work on systems of poverty in India and how those systems impact women
- To gain a perspective on American International Social Work Practice. to gain a better understanding of the Americans travelling to India for the purpose of social work. They held discussion with the 6 social work interns from the University of Maryland, School of Social Work, Baltimore
4245 East Avenue
Rochester, NY 14618
2011 - Prof. Carol Brownstein-Evans, Program Director, GRC MSW Program,, Associate Professor of Social Work, 585-395-8459 (email@example.com)
Carol has been a social work educator since 1977. She received her B.A. from the University of Maryland, M.S.W. from Syracuse University, and Ph.D. in social science from Syracuse University, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs. Her research is in the intersection of maternal substance abuse and child welfare issues.
Mark Primus, Clinical Assistant Professor of Social Work, 585-389-2752 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
2008 - Prof. Virginia V. David, LMSW, Chair and Professor, Department of Social Work, Nazareth College of Rochester, Newyork, USA - May 2008
Prof. Virginia in discussion with Prof. Joseph M.K.
SALEM STATE COLLEGE, USA
1997 - Prof. Lois Wartier, School Of Social Work, Salem State College,
Dr. Narda Razack, the Graduate Programme Director and Associate Professor, School of Social Work, York University, Toronto, Canada
Dr. Narda Razack’s research primarily focuses on North-South relations, globalization and international social work, critical race theory, issues of post-colonialism and critical practice. She is the author of the Book Transforming theField: Critical Anti-racist and Anti-oppressive Perspectives for the Human Services Practicum (2002), and several journal articles.
She recently co-edited the journal Social Justice: A Journal of Crime, Conflict and World Order, which includes one of her articles, Spatialized Locations, Identities and Nationality in International Work. She chairs the IASSW Task Force on Research and Exchanges, and was recently invited to be part of a 6 year CIDA project to lead the development of a Master of Social Work at the University of Benin, Nigeria.
9th to 15th November 2008.- Visited the campus along her husband Zaim Razack (audio verbal therapist) on a week long visit .
2005 - Prof. Dominique Mercure, Professor of Social Work, Laval University, Canada
Myriam LeBlanc, International Bureau and Pierre Turcotte, Ph.D, Asst. Professor, Coordinator of Field Placement, School of Social Work, Laval University
Annie – Marie Arseneault, Professor, Moncton University, Canada (arseneam@Umoncton.CA)
GLASGOW SCHOOL OF SOCIAL WORK, UNIVERSITIES OF GLASGOW & STRATHELYDE
9th to 17th January 2006 - Prof. Mono Chakabarti and Mr. George Palattiyil, Lecturer in Social Work
KATHO UNIVERSITY COLLEGE, DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL SCIENCES - IPSOC, KORTRIJK, BELGIUM
1) Eveline Le Roy, Co-ordinator International Office Social Sciences and Mr. Roger visited Rajagiri from 4th to 9th January 2011
6th to 9th January 2009 - Eveline Le Roy, Co-ordinator International Office Social Sciences and Prof. Fons Vondramael, Professor, Religion & Sense giving, Katho Catholic University of Professional Education, Belgium participated in the international Conference on Millennium Development Goals and Child Protection held at Rajagiri College from 6th to 9th January 2009
August 2007 - Mrs. Anne Marie Van den Dries, Head, International Office; Johan De Winter, Lecturer, Law at the Departments, and Eveline Le roy, Coordinator international office, Katho
UNIVERSITY OF GOTHENBURG, DPARTMENT OF SOCIAL WORK, SWEDEN
2004 - Inger Dahl Edqvist, Lecturer in Social Work, Gotteburg University Sweden - Inger.Dahl-Edqvist@socwork.gu.se
4th January 2010 – Dr. Pamela Gibbons, Associate Professor, Australian Catholic UniversityMr
Prof. Pamela Gibbons, Associate Dean International, Charles Sturt University, Australia visited the campus on 21st March 2012 and had interaction with the faculty members of the Department of Social Work and Department of Library & Information Sciences regarding exchange programmes between the two universities.
THE UNIVERSITY OF APPLIED SCIENCES, WESTERN SWITZERLAND
January 2012 - Prof. Jean-Pierre Tabin, Prof. Marc-Antoine Berthod, University Of Applied Sciences, and Prof. Chantal Ostorero - Head of the Board of Higher Education of the state of Vaud, Western Switzerland
2011 - Jean Pierre Tabin, Professor, Social Work , University of Applied Sciences, Western Switzerland
UNIVERSITY OF ZURICH
2001 - Dr. Willemijn de Jong, Asst. Professor, University of Zurich, Switzerland w.de.jong@access,unizh.ch
LILLE CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY, FRANCE
23rd to 25th February 2007
Anne Marie Michel - Director, International Relations Evelyne Litton - School of Engineering specialized in Electronics, Computer Science and Telecommunications
1996 - Yuzuki Robertus Philippes Kaku, Counsel General of Japan, Madras ASSUMPTION UNIVERSITY, THAILAND
May 2004 - Dr.Kitti Phokotti, Director of the Graduate School and Dr. David Immanuel, Programme Coordinator, RISER-AU, MSCP programme, Assumption University, Bangkok
2006 - Dr. Vorapot Ruckthun, Dean, Graduate School of Counselling psychology and Dr. Ismail Ali Siad, Director, MBA Programme – Assumption University, Thailand visited Rajagiri and had discussion with Dr. Mary Venus Joseph, Vice Principal, Rajagiri College of Social Sciences
July 2007 - Mr. Aprichart Intravisit (Graduate school of Business)
Ms. Pathathai Sinliamthong (Graduate School of Management) and Ms. Radha Sirianukul (Graduate School of Management)
OTHER VISITORS TO RAJAGIRI CAMPUS
(from 2007 onwards)
2007 - 2008
- Sonia & Jani Du Plessis, Northern Academy, Polokwane, South Africa
- Prof. Winfred Hermann, Germany
- Blake Kaiser, University of Washington, USA
- Prakash Goossens, Brothers of Charity, Belgium
- Kathleen Mackay, Canada
- Christian Rollet, President, International Council on Social Welfare, France
- Denys Correll, Executive Director, International Council on Social Welfare, Netherlands
- Dr. Linwood Cousins, Western Michigan University, USA
- Dr. Shiv Chopra, Canada
- Peter N. Varghese, High Commissioner, Australia
- Mary Varghese and Mathai N. Varghese, Canberra, Australia
- Christian Rollet, President, International Council on Social Welfare, France
- Prof. Namry Tsunematsu, Prof. M. Haro and Shinobu Iumi, Sojo University, Japan
- Professors Stan de Mello, Kathleen Mackay, Kayo Devcic and Maria Pereira Kent from Canada visited the campus during December 2011.
- March 2012 - Mr. & Mrs. Denison Jayasooria, Principal Research Fellow, Institute of Ethnic Studies , Malaysia visited Rajagiri College on 5th March 2012
- Prof. A.W. Bill Ansombe, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Charles Sturt University, New South Wales, Victoria, Australia from 26th-27th, November,2012
Prof. Moir Hagenson , International Director, Wellington Institute of Technology, Kensington along with Mr. Thomas Alanoly, Manager-Business
Relations and Adv. Justy Mathews, Managing Director of Jubeerich Consultancy Pvt Ltd visited Rajagiri College on 23rd April 2013. The purpose of the visit was to discuss on the collaborations for BSW or post BSW programme of Rajagiri College with Wellington Institute of Technology on Addictions, counseling and Health Studies programme.
Ms. Virginie Van Poucke, Ms. Ilse Clement, Ms. Eva Borra and Ms. Kaat Moermans , interns from Katho, Belgium were with Kalamassery campus with various internal assignments from January 2013 to May 2013.
Prof. Neil Pelky and team members from Juniata College visited Rajagiri College on Thursday, 10th January 2013
Dr. Glen Shive, Executive Director, Hong Kong America Center visited Rajagiri on Tuesday, 7th May 2013 and had discussion with all the departments and live labheads. Presentations were made by each department.
Dr. Bassam Harik, Vice Provost and Prof. Cathleen Fuller, Director of International Partnerships and Degree Programs, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, USA visited Rajagiri Kalamassery Campus on 13th June 2013
Dr. Steve Hollenhorst, Professor and Dean , Huxley College of Environment and Dr. Joseph Maxwell Correa, Professor, Management, Western Washington University, USA visited Rajagiri Kalamassery campus on 2nd September 2013
Dr. Ebru Aktan Acar, Associate Professor, , Turkey, was with Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, Kalamassery, Kerala, India from 7th July to 5th August 2013. Dr. Ebru Aktan Acar organized a One Day Training on Persona Dolls Approach for Preschool Teachers. 16 teachers from 7 schools attended. Dr. Ebru Aktan Acar visited various Kindergartens and Playschools to understand the Early Childhood Education Practices in India
Dr. Philip Anderson from University of Applied Sciences, Regensburg, Germany was with Rajagiri College from Thursday, 12th to Friday 20th December 2013. During the visit Dr. Philip had discussion with the faculty members of Social Work Department, handled sessions for BSW and MSW students